If you think about it, your lunch time might be the best time to get your workouts over with. Most of us get an hour to eat or regroup, why not use it to our advantage. If you carefully plan out your lunch hour, you can burn some calories and get a bite to eat in too. This will leave you with a burst of energy for the second half of the day and more time to spend with friends and family when you get off work.
We are always preaching about good habits that you should practice at work to keep you active. Things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking the long way to your colleagues office, and simply standing to read or overview files should be done on a daily basis to keep you out of that office desk chair. In addition to those suggestions, use your lunch hour to throw on your sneakers and burn a little more calories.
- 1 Minute Plyo Jumps: Using one step in the stairwell or a curb outside, jump up and down as fast as you can bringing both legs off the ground. (think HOP not skip) If you have trouble with your knees step up one leg at a time.
- 1 Minute Tricep Dips: Using one step in the stairwell or a curb outside, sit on down on the step/curb. with hands grasping the step/curb scoot forward until your bottom is no longer on the step.Dip down so that your elbows go straight back.
- 1 Minute Wall push-ups: Stand approximately 2-3 feet from the wall and place the palms of your hands on the wall. Shoulder width apart. Push down as if you were doing a push up on the ground.
- 1 Minute Squats: With arms up (a ball or weight in hands if you have it, if not a heavy book will work). Squat and as you go down, slowly lift your arms up and repeat.
- 1 Minute Lunge twist: Lunge one leg forward at at time. Make sure legs are bent at 90 degree angles. Hold in lunge position for a second then twist your torso toward the leg that is lunged out. Return to start and repeat with the other leg.
Repeat all 5 drills three times. This will make a 15 minute workout. Make sure you stretch when you get back to your desk. You should always have a gym or workout back with a wash cloth and other things that might help you freshen up after your 15 minute quickie. Take time for you during the day. We all need it.