There is a myth floating around that goes something like this…
“YOU MUST EXERCISE TO LOSE WEIGHT”
This couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact , the only people who try to sell that lie are those who are trying to sell you their fitness product or weight loss program or people who don’t understand weight loss. The truth is that weight loss is not, nor will it ever be, contingent on exercise.
It is true that exercise will help you lose weight but don’t confuse that with exercise being an absolute factor (or the only factor) to lose weight. It is not.
If you want to lose weight YOU DO NOT HAVE to exercise.
Having a business in the exercise and fitness industry, I would love to tell you that you absolutely had to exercise to lose weight. My business would surely thrive. Unfortunately, you don’t.
- If you burn the same amount of calories that you consume, the scale remains balanced and you will maintain your current weight.
- If you eat more calories than you burn, you will then tip the scale to make you GAIN weight.
- If you burn more calories than you consume then you will LOSE WEIGHT.
Please note that when I say that “burn” calories, I don’t mean go to the gym and break a sweat. Your body burns calories on it’s on. When you are sleeping your body burns calories. When you breathe, your body is burning calories. You can blink and burn calories (although it might not be very much).
In other words, If you did NO EXERCISE AT ALL but you reduced your caloric intake, you would without a doubt lose weight. How you maintained that weight loss would be the question left up to debate.
Now that I have completely discredited my passion and everything that I stand for… Let me tell you why
YOU ABSOLUTELY SHOULD EXERCISE….
and this list is far longer then the list explaining why you don’t have to exercise
- Exercise will help you lose weight. If you are burning calories by simply handling daily tasks, imagine how many calories you could burn if you actually did MORE. You would burn more calories and you might even burn more calories than you ate that day BECAUSE believe it or not YOU EAT A LOT OF CALORIES (sometimes more than you realize) and doing nothing will not lead to burning more.
- Exercise helps speeds up your metabolism by building muscles. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism and by speeding up your metabolism your body BURNS MORE FAT when you are sitting around doing nothing…. which, by the way, HELPS you lose weight.
- Exercise Lowers Your Risk of Chronic Disease – heart disease, stroke, cancer, chronic respiratory diseases and diabetes are the leading cause of mortality in the world. You can help yourself avoid them by putting a few minutes of exercise in your schedule.
- Exercise Reduces Stress and Gives You energy – No, it really does. Exercise releases this awesome chemical in your blood stream that just makes you feel alive and better. When was the last time you regretted exercise AFTER you finished? I would bet on Never. Have you ever just went on a jog or hit the weight room to reduce stress or anxiety? It feels great.
- Exercise reduces the guilt – Although I hate when people think that just because they exercise they can eat crap (SO NOT TRUE), I have to admit that when you do frequently engage in physical activity you feel less bad when you have the piece of cake. True or False?
I COULD ACTUALLY GO ON ALL DAY but they say people don’t like to read as much these days so I’ll Stop here.
To sum it all up…You DO NOT NEED TO EXERCISE TO LOSE WEIGHT (although it would help)BUT YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO EXERCISE TO LIVE A HEALTHIER (and I would argue, more productive) LIFE.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? (FACEBOOK COMMENT SECTION)